Thursday, May 31, 2012

VCM and Fatigue

I'm tired. My whole body is sore and achy, I've been yawning every 10 minutes for the past three days, I've been sleeping nine hours a night and taking afternoon naps, and my beloved wants me to go to the doctor to make sure there's nothing really wrong with me from a medical perspective. I think I'm just tired. The VCM, my most favorite marathon/ relay/ weekend ever was this past Sunday, and Alex and I participated in the 2-person relay(we came in 6th!). I did the first half, and felt good for the first 6 or 7 miles, then on the beltline turnaround I started to lose focus and slowed down without really realizing it. By the time my mind noticed that I need to speed up, my body was reluctant to follow. The last couple miles were quite painful - my hip and knee were bothering me. I couldn't wait to get to the transition and see Alex. I finished my half in 1:34:46, which isn't bad but isn't great either. Alex killed his leg; he ran a 1:32 half and is no worse for wear. I, however, went for a run yesterday for the first time since the half, and could barely move. I was running as slow as it is physically possible to run without walking, and I did stop to walk after a few miles. Today everything hurts, and I'm contemplating taking a break from running. For the past few weeks I've been wanting to try something different; ballet, yoga, salsa dancing, tennis... Just a new way to get excited about moving my body. I guess I'm feeling a bit burned out from running. I don't feel fast right now, nor do I feel capable of getting faster by putting in the time at the track, because I don't feel like going to the track. I guess I'll take a few days off and see how I feel after the weekend. At this point I just want to get my energy back.
We got a cree-mee at Burlington Bay after the race - best part of the weekend? Quite possibly so.

No comments:

Post a Comment