Monday, March 21, 2011

Holyoke St. Patrick's Day 10k

This is a race that I've done several times and watched almost every year for my whole life. My mother's family lives in Holyoke, and this race weekend is always a big event in our family. I got a ride to Holyoke Saturday morning with a friend and her husband who was also doing the race. We arrived at my grandparent's house, changed into our running clothes, and jogged down for the 1:00pm start. It was a beautiful day for a run and as always there were lots of people out. I started at the 8 minute mile pace marker, which I knew was too far back but I was with my family and wanted to start with them. It took me about half a mile to get past the crowd of slower runners ahead of me, and once I did I started running pretty fast to try to make up for lost time. Miles 2 and 3 are mostly uphill, and then the second half is mostly downhill - both are difficult in their own ways. I was hurting for most of the race, which I saw as a good sign, and I felt like I was running about a 7 minute pace. I crossed the finish line in 43:17 with a net time of 42:52. I was the 21st female out of 2384, which is cool. It was a good race for me overall. I was a bit sore the next day, but an easy 4 mile run got me feeling back to normal.

1 comment:

  1. Nice race. Sounds like a fun weekend. Hope all is going well for you in Boston, and hope we can see you for the race weekend. I'll be in touch to let you know what the plans are.

    ReplyDelete